Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hearing-ear parrot?


I have this off-and-on fantasy of getting Tikka the Parrot Princess certified as a "hearing-ear" bird. I know she can do it, because she alerts me to things going on around me all the time (that I don't hear.) Besides, she is fascinated with my hearing aids. Bit the tiny little volume button off one of them a long time ago. While on my shoulder.

She's also computer-literate.

But I don't want to encourage people to get parrots just for that reason. They're VERY high maintenance and, IMHO, we humans should stop breeding them. Too many rescues, too many mistreated, and they live too long, which makes everything that much harder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good thing your parrot can be easily trained for other things like alerting you if there is a person at the door. Instead of parrots, dogs and cats are easy to train too, and they can certainly help with hearing.


Rebecca Kavel